Two treats: Weekend studio tour, music fest

June 2017 Posted in Arts, Culture & History, Community, Music & Band

ulan studio (2)A visual arts studio tour and a music fest fill the first two weekends of Silverton’s June calendar.

June 3-4 the Galleries & Artists Studio Tour spotlights local artists. Visitors can see artists at work in their studios or home, or in the Greenough room at the Silverton Arts Association building or White Oak Gallery. Works will be for sale with all the proceeds going to the artist.

Organizers say welcoming the public into private studios gives them the opportunity to speak one-on-one with artists, learn about their medium, and appreciate the creativity and labor that goes into each piece.

Tour passport and map, $5 per person, is available on the Silverton Arts Association website for pre-purchase: silvertonarts.org or at the SAA Borland Gallery, 303 Coolidge St., and White Oak Gallery, 216 E. Main St. beginning June 2. Proceeds from the passports benefit the SAA. The rain-or-shine, self-guided tour is walkable or drivable.

The 12 studios and three galleries provide a look at miniatures, glass, oils, acrylics, pastels, photography, mosaics, fiber and pique assiette. Artists are Ann Altman, Judy Sleavin, Margie Rieff, Darla Lynn, Joe Craig, Susie Newell, O.B. Bergin, Stephanie Jernstedt, Barbara Fischer-Chase, Ulan Moore, Helen Bouchard and Linda Rauch. Participating galleries are Silverton’s Borland, Lunaria and White Oak. This is the SAA’s first studio tour. If successful they hope to make it an annual event.

On June 10 Soundstream Music presents the Fischer’s Mill Music Fest 2017 at Silverton’s Old Mill Park Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 3.01.16 PMAmphitheater.

The free community event features seven bands, beer from Seven Brides Brewing, and food from Creekside Grill and other local vendors. Master of ceremonies will be Roman Giberson of Blue City Diesel.

The festival amphitheater sits on what was once the foundation of the Fischer flour mill adjacent to Silver Creek. In 1898 the Fischer family bought the Oregon Milling Co. and in 1918 the Fischer Flour Mill was built. The mill closed in July 1932 and torn down in 1942. The remnants near the East Bank Park behind the library crumbled into the creek in 2011. Community volunteers led by Victor Madge constructed the amphitheater in 2016. All are welcome to bring a lawn blanket and enjoy the show.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.